The Fostoria Glass Company was founded in 1887 in Fostoria, Ohio. They made clear pressed glass and oil-burning lamps from the simplest to the fanciest, including painted “Gone With the Wind” lamps. The fuel supply ran out in Fostoria, so the plant was moved to Moundsville, West Virginia in 1891. They gradually changed their focus to glassware for home use, and as their chemistry and techniques became more sophisticated, their products became more beautiful.
Before 1924, there were lots of Early American Pressed Glass (E.A.P.G.) tableware sets made by many glass companies that would have included any or all of these pieces: a cream and sugar, salt and pepper and a spooner (a goblet-type vessel for storing extra spoons at the table). Other popular E.A.P.G. pieces made were celery vases, comports (sometimes called compotes, but to glass collectors a comport is what one served their compote in!), pitchers, tumblers, pickle dishes, vases, candy dishes and many other accessory pieces. The tableware pieces were meant to complement one’s china set.