Founded by the National Glass Company, a large combine of glass factories, the Cambridge Glass Company was built in 1901 and produced its first glass in 1902. When the National Glass Company collapsed, Cambridge remained in business. In the beginning, they used molds from their sister National companies, but by 1906 they were producing pieces from their own original designs.
Cambridge’s 1903 catalog offered some pieces in colors, including turquoise, green, amber, blue and opál (the early name for white glass, which was more delicate and translucent than later milk glass such as that produced in the 1950s and on by other factories). Color gained importance as time went by, and nearly every catalog featured several lines available in various colors. However, during WWII the minerals needed to make colored glass were needed for the War, so many colors were discontinued and most of them never came back.